The "Donald Knuth Syndrome" is the following behaviour pattern:
- You are working on a side project
- You reached to the conclusion that you need the tool
- You try to learn
Tool_Abut "they are not as good as you've thought".
- You decide to make a new tool to replace
- "Making this new tool" is now a new side project
- You decided that you need
Tool_Bis also not good enough which makes you create a new side project which leads to more side project ad infinitum.
It's named after Donald E. Knuth because he infamously spent years working on TeX and Metafont just for typesetting the computer book series he was working on.